I’ve been in love with music since I was old enough to listen and in the music business since 1971. I’ve been a recording artist, worked in radio, worked in retail & worked in records – Island, RSO, Elektra, Warner Bros / Reprise and DreamWorks Records.
After DreamWorks closed its record division I moved away from the corporate music companies. I no longer wanted to be a part of a big corporate label – although I had some wonderful times – Warner Bros in the 80’s was a fantastic musical environment. I wanted to work even closer with artists and embrace this new internet oriented music business so I starting doing artist management, music consulting and now with my partner Linda, our record label – Mishara Music.
My version of our mission statement would be described as “Working with music I love & people I like & embracing the musical world as it exists today with all its technological changes”. When I travel and observe, I see more people listening to more music than ever before. That’s a wonderful thing. The only real difference in the music business is that the method of delivery has changed – from 45’s and LP’s to 8 Tracks and Cassettes to CDs and now Digital Delivery . Contrary to some beliefs it is still a “record” – a recording of a musical performance. (Well, to be honest some “records” are no longer performances – they’re “contructions”). There are financial challenges every time a delivery system changes and yes sometimes the staid and once secure Acme Horse & Buggy Company is upset by the new fangled automobile. But let me say again – today more people spend more time listening to more music than ever before.
Our challenge as support people to wonderful musicians is to help them find their audience. Often the tried and true approaches work – touring and radio. But more & more support in those areas is dependent on an already existing and growing fanbase. What’s the key? The same as it has always been – Word Of Mouth. No radio station, no tv show, no magazine, no internet blog is as important as one friend saying to another – “Listen to this song – I love it”. That will be the key to Mishara Music – establishing a network of friends that care for and believe in the singer songwriter as we do – artists with a melody and a vision.
1. Has known Mishara Music partner Linda for almost 30 years and learned a whole bunch from her 25 trivia bits
2. Favorite concert was his first – August 18th, 1966 Suffolk Downs Racetrack – 4 guys from Liverpool England
3. Lived in LA for 35 years – then moved to coast of Maine – as far from LA as could in the Continental US
4. Can’t stand beets
5. Played violin in the Minneapolis Youth Symphony Orchestra
6. Favorite 20th century vacation – 10 days hiking around Mt Blanc through France, Italy & Switzerland
7. Favorite extreme wilderness vacation (tie) – 3 trips to Southeast Alaska for remote kayaking & river rafting
8. Favorite exercise – country road bicycling in Maine
9. Favorite desk item – Snoopy doghouse calendar given to me by 3 year old son
10. Is allergic to cats
11. Named Mishara Music after a cat that was named after a building
12. Favorite photograph: Art Kane’s 1958 Jazz grouping in Harlem. A copy hangs in my office always.
13. Loves caramel more than chocolate
14. Nothing beats a great apple
15. Makes the greatest vegetarian lasagne from scratch (except for the noodles)
16. 2nd favorite exercise – snowshoeing
17. Truth – to this day likes his Blackberry way more than wife’s iPhone!
18. Wears short sleeve shirts even in the dead of winter in Maine
19. Loves cargo pants because it’s easy to put music cds in the pockets
20. Current fave vacation – biennial family trip to Jazzfest in New Orleans
21. Favorite restaurant – K-Paul’s Lousiana Kitchen
22. Favorite meal – Crayfish Etouffee
23. Favorite solo pastime – hot latte, rocking chair near the roaring woodstove (wintertime) with a book!
I grew up in Detroit in the 60s and 70s listening to legendary AM radio station CKLW, broadcast from across the border in Canada. I loved Motown, the Beatles and all songs ‘pop’ in between. When FM transistor radios came out broadcasting in stereo, I’d stay up at night with a radio under my pillow, growing my love for all things ‘rock‘.. I became a DJ in college radio and grew my record collection to several hundred LP’s in a dorm covered with band posters. Then at age 20, I got a lucky break – getting hired at WEA (Warner Bros, Elektra, Atlantic Records) initially to count inventory stock at record stores and help the company’s sales and radio promotion folks – whose jobs were to promote and sell the label’s music to the masses.
I got paid to do something that I would readily do for free! I spent over fifteen years progressing in a fantastic environment promoting artists on Warner Bros. and Reprise Records. My dream to meet and promote many of my musical heroes, including singer/songwriters such as Joni Mitchell, George Harrison, Elton John, Van Morrison and Paul Simon was achieved.
But, eventually the ‘suits’ took over running the major labels and work became way more about pursuing bottom line profits than promoting special songs by enduring songwriters. Disillusioned, I left the business and moved to Maui and became a Montessori teacher. (When you’ve been around enough star egos like Madonna, educating young children seemed like a perfectly logical career move). I still spent my down time discovering and supporting original music.
And, eventually, I relocated to Nashville and did Artist Management staying true to my commitment to support gifted musicians.
With the launch of Mishara Music my passion to only work with special songwriters and singers and sharing music I love comes full circle. My partners at Mishara have a similar viewpoint; by helping spread truly compelling artists whose songs honor our human condition with the world, we can build lasting relationships with fellow music lovers and grow new artistic legacies.
23 trivia facts about Linda (Why 23? No idea)
1. loves, loves, loves the artists on Mishara Music
2. lived on Maui for 11 years
3. has visited 35 countries
4. can say hello and thank you in over 25 languages
5. worked as a marine mammal naturalist
6. loves to garden
7. owns a Vespa scooter
8. still climbs trees
9. can’t stand beets
10. once bicycled 700 miles in 3 weeks in England
11. lets her dog sleep in her bed
12. taught Montessori pre-school
13. roots for University of Michigan football
14. loves to be in or on water whenever possible
15. can watch the Weather Channel for hours
16. is allergic to cats
18. has 4 discreetly placed tattoos
19. rarely wears dresses
20. has 5 brothers and 2 sisters
21. needs new eyeglasses
22. moved back to Michigan after 23 years away
23. loves anything Irish (read: Guinness)